FREEDOM FORCE X
Created by Dr Mike and M25
with contributions from the FFX maintenance team and many others
Freedom Force X (X as in extension) 3.3 is the new version of the popular unofficial expansion pack to Irrational Games' Freedom Force vs the Third Reich, and provides 200+ new character attributes and more than two dozens new attack types which can be purchased for custom characters or built-in characters for mod-makers. It also sports a much improved AI, a system to write your own missions in plain English, tools to help modders and various other goodies.
It is installed as a mod for FFvTTR, and must be launched as a separate campaign from the shortcut provided. FFX 3.2 is required to install FFX 3.3.
What’s new in FFX 3.3?
- A huge amount of fixes and updates to existing attributes and swaps and several under-the-hood, too. Thanks to all of you that play FFX and provide feedback to improve it! For a detailed list of all changes, click here.
- M25 has added a new feature to the AI, the AI Timer Delay. This new customizable configuration option drastically improves the response time of the AI.
- Several new AI tactics have been created for existing and new Attributes
- Also, M25 has made several fixes to the EZScript system and added support for story and exit encounter types. These are plug-ins that must be downloaded seperately. (the update modifies ezscript to allow them to work).
- New state swap: Ranged Grapple with Custom Damage - a new addition to the Grapple/Tangle swaps which allows you to inflict any damage (electrical, radiation, energy leech, mental blank, etc.) to grappled targets.
- Made many changes to the shield swaps to allow more than one shield type per character plus several updates to existing Swaps, like Gravity Increase, Crystallise, and all the Grapple/Tangle Swaps
- New attributes : Alternate Current, Dizzy, Gestalt/Amalgam, Jinx Enemies, Phasing, Seat Filler, and Velcro Feet… plus tweaks to various exiting ones and new customization options.
- New Group Flight command added to Telekinetic, Earth Control, Magnetic and Weather Control. Now you can lift your allies in the air and carry them with you using your powers
- Weather Control has some significant updates with the Group Flight addition, the ability to Summon Rain, and now far more accurate lighting and hail strikes and the energy level of the character now determines how accurate the strikes are.
What’s new in FFX 3.2?
- A more or less new development team on the non-AI side of FFX, as Dr. Mike has kindly agreed to let us play with his amazing work. As for the AI, fear not, as M25 is still very much aboard!
- Speaking of M25, a tweaked, updated, optimized and improved version of EZScript is now part of FFX. If you've given up creating your own FF missions because scripting was too hard, you're in for a wonderul surprise!
- In addition, M25 has further improved his AI system – and made it many times faster to boot! And before you think the other FFXers have been idle:
- New attributes : Absorb Energy, Absorb Materials, Absorb Powers, Acrobatic (Amateur), Amplifier, Blessed, Chi Power, Combat Skill, Cursed, Enchanter, Field Commander, Ghostly, Human Rocket, Infamous, Narcoleptic, Natural Teleporter, Parasite, Popular, Quick Learner, Random Mutation, Reality Manipulation, Slow Learner, Speed Force, Speed Phaser, Summoner (grade 4), Twister, Trick Shot, Upgradable and Volatile Storage… plus tweaks to various exiting ones and new customization options.
- Some attributes can now be removed from a character during a mission. Enchanter and Field Commander are two attributes which can bestow and remove other attributes.
- New state swaps: Knockout Gas and Body Snatch.
- Support for mission and startup plugins. Startup plugins apply to every FFvsTTR mod and offer some new "hooks" for enterprising modders/tweakers. Mission plugins allow to add small functionalities or optional behaviours to an FFX 3.2-compatible mod, for example making firehydrants more interactive or letting AI characters use the Limited Jumping attribute. Don't like a plugin? Just remove its folder.
- Numerous performance improvements, bug fixes and under the hood changes.
- New or improved scripting hooks for modders.
- New script-based tools to help power users circumvent a few issues inherent to FFvsTTR.
- Compatible with EZFX 6.0: no need to merge DATs manually anymore, as the proper files are selected during install.
- Last but not least, the winning entry from the FFX Hero Contest (thanks to everyone who entered!), a brand-new custom character: Slowball by Yellow Lantern
(On a side note, none of previously released FFX 3 custom characters and save games are bundled with the 3.2. We'll try to make them available later.)
Note that due to the amount of changes, there are bound to be some new bugs (plus a few old ones); there are also some unavoidable issues with the FFX Control Centre.
Don't forget to review the updated installation procedure.
What’s new in FFX 3.1?
- Dr. Mike's last hurrah, including the following new attributes: Absorption (Active), Adaptive (Active), Assimilator, Driver/Vehicle, Induction, Polarised, Power Analysis, Spellcaster, Terraformer, Transmutator and Utility Belt.
- Three more custom characters to show the new attributes and customization possibilites: Cat Laser & Cat Jalopy and Borg-9.
What’s new in FFX 3.0?
- Around 200 new attributes, that can be bought for custom characters just like the original attributes (e.g. HOT TEMPERED, FLIER). Each of these will give your character a new ability or weakness straight out of the box, and can be further customised using the FFX Control Centre.
- Around 30 new attack types that can be bought for your powers (like the exisitng CRUSHING, HEX, POWER NULL etc.). These can be swapped for exisitng attack types on a per-character basis using the FFX Control Centre.
- The FFX Control Centre - an external Windows programme that allows you to configure and customise your own characters new powers to the Nth degree.
- M25's critically acclaimed AI system, which allows modders or custom character creators to specify AI routines for characters. This also allows NPC's in the Rumble Room to use their FFX powers.
- New Rumble Room modes such as Skirmish Watch Mode, Skirmish Team Match, allowing you to set up three-way (or more) battles between different teams in the Rumble Room.
- Modifications to campaign heroes and villains to provide enhanced gameplay in the Freedom Force vs the Third Reich campaign.
- Some example custom characters to show off the wide range of possibilites available to character creators using FFX.
For the first Freedom Force game: Freedom Force X v.2.6, at FundamentZero.com